Celebrate Chinese New Year 2017 in Vegas
Last updated: January 24, 2017 at 7:56 am. Posted by Jeannie Garcia in Things to Do in Las Vegas. 1 Comment on Celebrate Chinese New Year 2017 in Vegas.
Lions and dragons and bars, oh my! We have a lot happening in Vegas for Chinese New Year 2017. The season kicks off Saturday, Jan. 28, and just like with everything else in Vegas, we go big. Catch all of our festivities at various hotels, bars, restaurants and shops during the Year of the Rooster:
If you’re in Vegas for Chinese New Year, you don’t want to miss the Strip’s annual lion dances. This year’s lion dances start Friday, Jan. 27 and go through Wednesday, Feb. 8. Caesars Palace celebrates with a bang on Saturday, Jan. 28 — we’re talking firecrackers and a traditional lion eye painting ceremony at the hotel’s porte cochère starting at 5 p.m. After the eye painting, the lions continue through Palace Court, Nobu Hotel, Beijing Noodle No. 9, Bacchanal Buffet and the first floor of MR CHOW.
For other Chinese New Year lion dances in Vegas, the full schedule is as follows:
- Friday, Jan. 27: The LINQ Promenade at 6 p.m.
- Saturday, Jan. 28: Planet Hollywood Resort & Casino at noon; Paris Las Vegas at 1 p.m.; Bally’s Las Vegas at 2 p.m.; Caesars Palace at 5 p.m.; and The LINQ Promenade at 6 p.m.
- Sunday, Jan. 29: The Cromwell at 3 p.m.; Flamingo Las Vegas at 3:45 p.m.; The LINQ Hotel & Casino at 5 p.m. and The LINQ Promenade at 6 p.m.
- Monday, Jan. 30: The LINQ Promenade at 6 p.m.
- Wednesday, Feb. 8: Harrah’s Las Vegas at 5 p.m. and Rio All-Suite Hotel & Casino at 7 p.m.
Vegas always shows love for these fiery creatures. The season heats up with these special events:
The LINQ Promenade
See live performances by professional dancers from the Sichuan dance troupe and local Chinese communities on The LINQ Promenade’s fountain stage. Dragon dance performances are at the following times: Friday, Jan. 27 and Monday, Jan. 30: 6 p.m. – 9 p.m.; Saturday, Jan. 28 and Sunday, Jan. 29 1:30 p.m. – 9 p.m.
In addition to the dancing, there will be a Chinese New Year in the Desert DragonFest benefit concert at The LINQ Hotel & Casino on Jan. 29 from 2 p.m. – 4 p.m. The concert will feature solo and group numbers from local and international troupes. Tickets start at $38. Buy your tickets now.
While you’re at The LINQ: Don’t miss the annual Chinese New Year light show, showcased on the 550-foot-tall High Roller. The iconic observation wheel will be lit in red and gold the night of Friday, Jan. 27. Ride the High Roller, and you’ll get Chinese New Year-themed frame when you order a souvenir photo.
The Forum Shops at Caesars Palace welcomes back its dazzling 22-foot-long by six-foot-wide and 12-foot-high dragon. The massive 950-pound steel-framed dragon is adorned with 30,000 flickering red and amber LED lights. Located on the Fortuna Terrace near the casino entrance, the vibrant dragon stays on display throughout the Chinese New Year season.
While you’re at The Forum Shops, don’t miss the annual parade on Monday, Jan. 30 starting at 10 a.m. One-hundred twenty local students (kindergarten and fifth grade) perform the traditional dragon parade throughout the shops.
This section completes our “lions and dragons and bars” saying from earlier, but don’t worry — the fun doesn’t stop here. After you check out these bar and drink specials, there are still more ways to celebrate. In the meantime, plan your fun (yet responsible) bar itinerary. These specials run Friday, Jan. 27 – Sunday, Jan. 29.
- O’Sheas at The LINQ Promenade: Enjoy drink specials like $23 beer pong and $4 draft beer and nightly entertainment.
- Tag Sports Bar and Squeeze at The LINQ: Order Tsingtao beer specials.
- Tsingtao beer tasting at The LINQ Promenade: Sample a Lunar New Year-themed cocktail or Tsingtao beer (recognized as the best-selling Chinese beer in the U.S.).
We say your LINQ bar crawl should end on a sweet note. Check out what The LINQ Promenade has in store:
- Honolulu Cookie Company: Purchase a 2017 Chinese New Year gift box – 16 cookies of six different flavors (available Friday, Jan. 13 through Saturday, Feb. 11).
- Sprinkles: Devour Year of the Rooster cupcakes and also cupcakes frosted with Chinese characters (for double happiness and longevity).
- Ghiradelli Ice Cream & Chocolate Shop: Savor 15 specialty Chinese New Year-inspired dark chocolates ($12.50 or two for $20).
If you’re looking for more than just beer and sweets, The LINQ Promenade and Caesars Palace will offer Chinese fare sure to tantalize your taste buds:
THE LINQ Promenade
- Flour & Barley: Kung Pao shrimp pizza – Kung Pao sauce, mozzarella, roasted peppers and shrimp, garnished with green onions and peanuts ($17.50)
- Virgil’s Real Barbecue: Hush puppy samples and a Espolón Blanco Tequila drink celebrating Year of the Rooster
- MR CHOW: Every table comes with a plate of Mandarin oranges. During Chinese New Year, Mandarin oranges and tangerines are considered traditional symbols of abundance and good fortune.
- Bacchanal Buffet: Chinese New Year items join the 500-item buffet. Choose from marinated jelly fish with shredded chicken, braised soya chicken and sweet rice cake.
- Beijing Noodle No. 9: Gather your group, because there’s plenty to go around. Sink your teeth into fine cuisine like braised duck feet with black mushroom ($99.99); stewed soya chicken ($88.00); homemade pork dumpling ($38.99) and wok-fried sweet and sour fish ($23.99), to name a few. There’s even a vegetarian platter, which includes steamed peanuts, edamame nuts, glutinous corn, Chinese yam, pumpkin, sweet potatoes, taro and potatoes for $38.99.
After all that eating, we’re sure you’ll want to walk off the calories. Check out the items The LINQ Promenade, Caesars Palace and more have in store:
Year of the Rooster merchandise
Get your plush rooster, t-shirts and hats to help you ring in the Chinese New Year at these stores across the Caesars empire. Merchandise available for a limited time only.
- Sky Shop at the LINQ Promenade
- #NEED IT kiosk at the LINQ Hotel & Casino
- Emperors Essentials at Caesars Palace
- Rio Logo Shop at Rio All-Suites Hotel & Casino
- Essentials at the LINQ Hotel & Casino
- Essentials to Go at Flamingo Las Vegas
While you are at the LINQ Promenade stop by Bella Scarpa and Welcome to Las Vegas store to get 10 percent off merchandise.
Enter to win: For Vegas shopping and spa giveaways, visit the WeChat booth near The LINQ Promenade’s fountain stage for more details. Prizes include a shopping spree at The Forum Shops, massages or spa passes, Tsingtao beer and much more. Drawings take place at The LINQ Promenade from Jan. 27 through Jan. 30 at 8:35 p.m. nightly. Good luck!
Head to The Forum Shops inside Caesars Palace, and we can predict luck and prosperity with many special offers. These are the participating retailers: 7 for All Mankind, AllSaints, Angl, Anne Fontaine, bebe, Border Grill, Brighton Collectibles, Brooks Brothers, Carmine’s NYC’s Family Style Italian Restaurant, CHANEL Fragrance, Beauty and Sunglasses, Chloe, Coach, David Yurman, Diane von Furstenberg, DKNY, Ermenegildo Zegna, Guess, H&M, Henri Bendel, Hublot, Inglot Cosmetics, John Varvatos, Kalifano, kate spade new York, Kids Kastle, L.K. Bennett, M Missoni, Marciano, Mephisto, Montblanc, Mulberry, Paul & Shark, Polo Ralph Lauren, Roman Times, Salvatore Ferragamo, Sandro, Sergio Rossi, SKYE Art Gallery, Stuart Weitzman, Sushi Roku Las Vegas, Ted Baker London, The Art of Shaving, The Walking Company, Tourneau, Vilebrequin and Welcome to Las Vegas.
Tags: Chinese New Year